Saturday, January 24, 2009

I really want to give a nice full update, but am going to have to give a brief one since there is very much I need to write about and not enough time.
The last week and a half has been very active for me; as far as the 101 goes though ive been relatively lax. Since my last update I have neglected to read a single book or do a single push up since I left Nomads; i bite my nails regularly; and while I have had a few sodas, i maintain that a 24 hour train ride should allow for minor allowances.

From Nomads in the Riverland, I packed up and bussed off to Adelaide where Anne was learning all about jet lag. We did a wine tour of McLaren Vale as Anne and I got rather plastered with Ryan as our driver. From there we flew off to Cairns and scuba dived or dove (anyone knowing the difference would be very helpful) at the great barrier reef. I lied and told them I wasnt a diabetic because i really wanted to do a dive and it was well worth it because I both got to eat fantastic Ice cream before i went down to make sure i wouldnt go low and I got to see some fantastic underwater creatures like a Sea turtle and a 'humphead wrasse' (napoleon fish) which is large and has a fantastic tattoo on its face. One minor underwater sting of some sort and i discovered that vinegar is the best thing for 'neutralizing the burn'.
It was probably 40(over 100) the entire time we were there including the night time, and a the 90% humidity ensured our clothes were constantly coated in sweat.
Anne bought a great didgiridoo with two platypi (though i prefer just saying platypuses) and we lugged it around cairns while taking pictures of the flying foxes which are essentially exactly what they sound like...foxes with wings, except they are actually massive bats that hang from trees and then fly exposing their terrifying wingspan.
From Cairns we went to Alice Springs which despite its moist name is in fact drier than a mormon bachelor party. that metaphor works on two levels because alice springs sits ona river that only flows once every few years due to the lack of water and the fact that it is illegal to sell alcohol outside of about 2 hours a day (though the dry river bed is littered with empty beer cans a broken beer bottles). less humid but slightly hotter, it was here i really discovered the real need for an ozone layer.
Anne and I stayed in a camper for the night at a hostel and woke up early to join 'the rock tours' where we were shoved into a van with 20 other people from ll over the world looking to see Uluru (ayers rock). we saw Kings Canyon which you can see in Priscilla Queen of the dessert where at the endHugo Weaving and Guy Pierce hike in full on 'drag'. It was a fantastic sght to see, luckily anne has an equally fantastic camera to document it since my camera was officially declared dead by the camera doctor with terrible bedside manner who told me 'your screwed, unless you have a bunch of money'.
Kata Tjuta (the olgas) were next and despite waking up at 4am was still an amazing sight. Within sight of Uluru, these 32 or so massive round rock mounds are told to be the result of a mud fight between two ancient aboriginal boys. the 40 degree weather was really a nice touch.
FINALLY i get to say i added to my 101. I got to see Uluru at sunrise. which also adds to my 10 sunrises. ill be honest though, the sunrise wasnt as great as the sunset. the amount of colors coming off of that rock over the period of one hour were absolutely amazing. when i get back home ill try and amend photos to this fandangled bloggeridoo.
This rock is incredible. and by rock i literally mean ROCK. one single rock pushed out of the ground 450 million years ago. it still hasnt set in exactly how awe inspiring that really was. it was a 6 mile walk around its base and the entire thing was one single rock. the large pieces that broke off were bigger than any rock i have ever seen.
What was most fascinating about Uluru was the aboriginal taboos about whats allowed and not allowed for tourists. Certain massive areas of the rock are forbidden for tourists to take photos of, and the reasons you are not allowed to do so are also kept secret. so you just know your not allowed to photograph it (although so many effin germans who clearly understood this still snappedphotos left and right) and you are not really told why you are not allowed to. As far as climbing the immense rock you are told basically that you are allowed to and no one will stop you, but to respect their culture andplease DONT climb the rock. they try and guilt trip you into no climbing the rock, thoguh about 8 people in our group decidd to do it anyway. this is similar to travelling to rome, seeing the popes chair and signs saying 'please do not sit' but pissing on it anyway and taking photos.
Hopefully a more thorough description of this trip can follow, but i dont have the energy or wit to type it all out now.
After a 24 hour train ride back to Adelaide and a week and ahalf of travel in which i had three emails and two voicemails from my mom concerning how she should arrange my funeral bc she was concerned i had been eaten by a spider or land jellyfish... I can say that I complted only one of my 101/1001 list. I did howver have a fan-effin-tastic time travellig around this massive country. And though i dont have much more time here, hopefully ill be able to finish the other tasks that i can only complete while here. For now though, im going to attempt to restart my push-ups and stop biting my nails.

Cristy, type it up and send it to me and ill post a link to it here. good to hear youve started one. get to it!

Fair dinkum.

1 comment:

Christie said...

http://101christie1001.blogspot.com/

Hope you're doing well!