Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day ONE:

As I spend most of my freetime here in australia, I was recently perusing facebook and discovered a post by one of my dearest friends and old roommates, Erik. The post showed outlined an extraordinary concept that gives you 1001 days to complete 101 preset tasks put together by you. I was immediately taken with this idea as I am currently on the other side of the world backpacking through Australia and looking for 'something that will give my life more meaning'. I've never before seen something that so quickly inspired me to accomplish all the things in my life that I have simply let go out of sheer laziness; within a day my list was complete.


The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (i.e., no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e., represent some amount of work on your part).

Here's my list. If you have any advice on how to use this blog, let me know...for now it will be extremely bland, until I can figure out all the cool add-ons and whatnot. :

Things to Learn:
1. Learn a language that isn’t Spanish
2. Learn to circularly breath
3. Learn 10 new recipes and how to cook them (0/10)
4. Learn to play Banjo; 5 songs (0/5)
5. Learn pencil twirling techniques
6. Learn to spin a Frisbee on fingers
7. Learn to brew beer
8. Learn to properly use my camera
9. Learn to fly a kite
10. Learn to ice skate
11. Learn to write my name in Arabic/Hindi/Chinese/Cyrillic/Greek
12. Learn to efficiently drive standard
13. Learn to whittle
14. Learn to bake a meat pie
15.Learn how to tie and throw a lasso
16. Learn to throw knives into things
17. Learn to properly fold laundry
18. Definitively learn every world capital
19. Be able to identify 10 constellations and a story about each
20. Knit or crochet a hat
21. Learn to sew buttons back onto pants/shorts…for when I’m no longer a fatty
22. Learn to make 10 drinks (0/10)
Places to Go:
23. Visit Maccu Piccu
24. Visit 4 coasts of Australia (3/4)
25. Go to Las Vegas
26. Visit Grand Canyon
27. Visit Niagra Falls
28. Go to Alaska
29. Go to Hyde Park Brewery Trivia
Things to See:
30. See the northern lights
31. See all 100 top AFI films (30/100)
32. See the sunrise over Uluru
33. 10 sunrises in 10 locations (1/10)
34. Complete VT brewery passport (0/10)
35. Go to 10 different new Breweries (not on VT passport)
36. Go to 5 Yankee games
37.Go to a Yankee/Red Sox game
38. Go to 10 concerts (0/10)
39. Go whale watching
Things to Do:
40. Attend a music festival
41. Climb Mt. Washington
42. Bike from Burlington to camp
43. Skydive
44. Build a rocking chair (that wont break)
45. Send a message in a bottle from three oceans (0/3)
46. Get a tattoo
47. Sing Karaoke
48. Get 3 new stamps on my passport
49. Carve a pumpkin
50. Penguin Plunge
51. Get lifeguard certification
52. Go camping in the woods (not at music festival)
Things Left:
53. Turn Mol Can labels into some sort of poster
54. Finally try waterskiing again
55. Paint the flags of every country over their borders on a map of the world
56. Transfer files from Foxweb to hard drive
57. Figure out how to convert my movies to Mp4
58. Get Marist and UVM diplomas framed
59. Figure out this blogging site
60. Find and organize list of 100 pied faces of 2006
Things to Read/Write:
61. Read at least 50 new books (1/50)
62. Read War and Peace
63. Read the Eragon series (0/3)
64. Read 3 Shakespeare plays (0/3)
65. Write a journal entry once a week
Mind/Body/Health:
66. Get under 185 lbs
67. Stay there for remainder of 1001 days
68. Run a 5k
69. Run a 10k
70. 24 hour vow of silence
71. Stop biting nails
72. Whiten teeth
73. No TV or computer once a week
74. Be able to manage 100 push-ups a day
75. Get the hottest meal at India Queen in Hanover
76. Eat something outrageous that I would never normally eat
77. Stop buying soda
78. Go on the pump
79. Be vegetarian for a month
80. 24 hour fast once a month
81. Make it in Australia till at least Feb. 20
The rest of Life:
82. Get a steady paying teaching job
Not for Me:
83. Build something practical for both mom and dad
84. Donate blood 3 times (0/3)
85. Volunteer at a soup kitchen
86. Eliminate use of plastic bags
87. Give 5 frequent coffee drinkers mugs and convince them to use them
88. “Plant a tree” for every book I read using http://www.ecolibris.net/
89. Compost food – back in states
For Funsies:
90. Use the photo booths at malls whenever I visit one
91. List 100 things that make me happy
92. Get 5 people to create their own 101/1001 lists (1/5)
93. Send 10 Snail mails to 10 different people
94. Save all coins for 1001 days – donate
95. Compile my funeral album
96. Try and photograph each task
97. Donate $5 for every incomplete task to Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
To Buy:
98. Get a Mac book of some sort
99. Get a terabyte external hard drive
100. Get a road bike
101. Get one of those electronic trivia globes

I will be officially starting as of Monday 8, 2008 and be kickin it off with #80 (24 hour fast)...wish me luck as I am used to eating 2 or 3 mince pies a day along with subway and other sorts of snacks.

Along with this, my travel buddy Tyler has completed his list and will be typing it up soon - he will be kickin off with a fast tomorrow with me as well; I'll send a link to his once its up. One other friend has discussed starting her own list too...so that officially makes my #92 - 20% finished on its way to 40%!
These things possibly being accomplished by day one - if anyone wants to tell me how to cross things off or get one of those progressy bars on the top, that would help me immensly.

For all those wondering how my time here down under is going I will use one word: ineffible - which is a word that describes something that cannot be described with words. Photos to follow once i accomplish #59.

6 comments:

Alex said...

Money. Welcome to the club. I'm about do put up my second round of this next week.

Alex said...

just finished reading the list. when you get a Mac you can use the free app iSquint to convert movies to mp4

Becca said...

Good Luck Seanie!!! here is my list I started on my birthday this past September.
http://2csinbecca.blogspot.com/

Miss you!

Erik said...

Dear Fwend of Fwends:
- Love the list, Im` gald that in some way I motivated you to do your list!
- Bea showed me how to use the blog, how to corss of things and how to do the progress bar... I can pay it forward with all that I know.
- Good Luck on the fast tomorrow! For Motivation purposes I am going to do it with you!!!! Thatw how I roll.
- We should try to accomplish a bunch together, skydiving vegatarian, movies and some others...
- Glad to hear form you, tell Tyler I say Hi and we can chat on facebook one day this week and Ill tell you how to do the progress bar and other things!

Happy Fasting!

- Your Fwend,

Erik

Elissa said...

Sean,

I love this idea. Perhaps I can think of 101 and you can be 60% done with that goal.

I can help you accomplish the recipes and driving stick. Lemme know when you're back in the states and we can have cooking and driving lessons, although not simultaneously.

Say hey to Tyler for me and watch out for the venomous critters.
Elissa

Christie said...

сган (s-Han)
сжан (s-Jan)

There isn't really the "Shh" sound here (my students struggle with that every day) so I gave you a few options that come pretty close to "Sean." Also, native speakers may transliterate your name (meaning they would take it letter for letter) and that would turn out something like this:

сиан (s-ee-an)

Hope that helps - good luck buddy!

- Christie in Ukraine